Follow the steps below to encrypt Word or Excel files with a password. Per the Data Encryption Policy, this is required for any document that includes a student's sensitive personal identifiable information .
1. Open your document and click File.
2. From File, select Info then Protect Document
3. Select Encrypt with Password from the drop down.
4. Enter the password you would like to use and click OK. You will be asked to enter it twice. Please note: it is ideal to use a password with multiple characters and would not be easy to guess, for more info on creating a strong password, click *Insert Password Security*
5. You can now save the file like you would normally and store it on your hard- drive or share it with other users. For security purposes, it is not wise to send the password along with the encrypted file to another user.