Faculty can create their Blackboard courses for on-ground and blended courses at their convenience by using the self-deployment tool known as the Middleware tool.
Access the Middleware tool
Access the Middleware tool via this URL: https://login.concordiaonline.org/login-s2l. Login using your Concordia network username and password.
The Middleware tool interfaces between Concordia’s student information system, Banner, and our learning management system, Blackboard. After logging in, you will see a screen similar to the one below.
Each row in the above interface represents a single course assigned to you as the instructor. The course deployment status is shown in the Status column.
- Deployed: Course has been created in Blackboard.
- Check your "Upcoming courses" tab if you cannot locate the deployed course in Blackboard
- Ready: Course is available to be deployed.
- CLS: Fully-online course that will be deployed automatically (typically about ten days prior to the course start date).
Once you have logged into the Middleware tool locate the course you want to deploy.
Place a check in the box (or boxes, if deploying more than one course) on the left of the course under the Deploy column.
- To deploy a course, check one or more of the boxes under the Deploy column:
- This will trigger a drop-down menu to appear in the Template column.
- This drop-down shows available Templates to copy for your new Blackboard course section.
- Select one of the Templates from the drop-down menu options to assign to the new course.
- Once the template is assigned, click the Submit button at the bottom of the page.
- The course(s) will be created in Blackboard within approximately ten minutes.
- This can take longer during busier times for the Middleware Tool, but should take no longer than a few hours.
A template is available to an instructor if it falls within the allowed time range (2 years) and was previously taught by that same instructor.
Instructors can also start with a fresh shell by selecting the Standard or Blank templates.
- Standard Template: This is the CUP standard template. It contains a CUP header for the course as well as several commonly used tools.
- This is the recommended shell if not copying from a previously taught iteration.
- Blank Template: This is Blackboard’s generic blank shell.
- This is only recommended if you want to build your course extensively from scratch.
If the desired section is not available as a template (e.g., too old or taught by a different instructor), reach out to email@example.com. Please include all relevant information in the request for fastest service.