Most smart devices: iPhones, androids, iPads and tablets have the ability to connect to local wireless networks. Connecting these devices over wireless is less taxing on the battery life the device, provides a secure and fast internet connection, and often offers free services that you might be charged for if used over a 3G or 4G connection. In this article will explain how to enable and connect your wireless on most commonly used devices.
iOS devices (iPhone, iPad)
This example uses an older version iOS; any other OS should not be significantly different.
- Find and select the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Select Wi-Fi
- If not already toggled to On, enable via the toggle here.
- Once your Wi-Fi is enabled you should see available networks appear below.
- The two Concordia wireless networks are Student and Campus .
- Student is for student use, and campus networks are for use by staff and faculty.
- Tap the network that applies to you to connect.
- Connecting to either network will require a specific network password
Obtain the correct WAP key for the wireless network you would like to join in the Wifi Access link available in the CUP Portal.
- Enter the correct password, then click 'Join' to join the network.
- When connected, your network SSID (network name) will be indicated in blue with a check mark beside it.
We are using Android 2.1 for our examples. The process should remain relatively similar regardless of software version and device.
- On your Android device, select the Settings icon. The actual icon for 'Settings' may vary from Android to Android.
- Under Settings, choose Wireless & networks.
- Next, select Wi-Fi settings.
- If Wi-Fi is not already turned on, tap the check mark by Wi-Fi to turn it on. When Wi-Fi is enabled, available SSID’s will appear below. Encrypted networks will by indicated with a padlock icon. Select the network to which you’d like to connect.
- The two Concordia wireless networks are Student and Campus. Student is for student use, and Campus is for use by staff and faculty. Tap the network that applies to you to connect.
- Type in the appropriate password and select Connect.
- You should now see that you are connected to the network.