All Faculty/Staff issued a laptop are responsible for the security of their computer.
As of November 2006, all new laptops are issued with a combination cable lock to be used in offices or when traveling with the laptop. Use of this cable lock is mandatory. All laptop owners issued a laptop prior to November 2006 may pick up a cable lock from ITS free of charge. If you wish to have voluntary use of a cable lock, you must purchase your own. You are still responsible for the security of your laptop!
While on campus
- Secure laptop with a cable lock or in a locked drawer or file cabinet
- Lock your office door when you are not in your office
- Do not leave your laptop unattended in an unsecured area
While off campus
- Secure your laptop with a cable lock
- Do not leave your laptop in your car (hot/cold temperatures can be a risk as well as theft!)
- Do not tempt thieves by leaving your laptop in plain sight unattended
Approved by M.Wahlers 10/16/2006
Reviewed by Steven Quirk 10/3/13