At the end of each term, you may want to compile and save the contents of your class discussions. This is a good practice for keeping notes, as well as a refresher for whenever you might want to review the class material, or simply as a way to collocate and archive your own work.
Note: If you would like to retain your discussion board forum posts after your course or program concludes, it is imperative that you save the posts before you lose access. Discussion board posts cannot be provided to you after you lose access and are not included in materials available via course archive requests.
Please be sure to save all posts before your term ends utilizing the instructions below.
Collect Discussion Board Posts
- First, open the Discussion Board section of your course. This should be the Discussion Board link located in your course sidebar menu.
- Next, click the grey Search button on the right side of the page.
- Usually, the search function would be used to search for specific posts. However, we can use it to pull all of the posts in the course. Use these settings to proceed:
- Leave the Search text box blank.
- From the drop-down menu, choose All Forums in Course.
- Place a check in the Before box.
- Set the date for the last day of the class.
- Click the grey Go button.
- The page will refresh and load all the posts from the class.
- Tip: If you wish to save only your posts, click the grey Filter button on the right side of the page and select your name from the Author list, and then select the grey Go button to filter.
- Proceed to the next section to save the posts to your computer (or cloud storage system).
Save Discussion Board Posts
- To save this list of posts to your computer click the dark grey Print Preview button.
- This will open the same content in a new pop-up preview window.
- In the new pop-up preview window, right-click and select Print from the contextual menu.
- Ensure the Destination on your print screen is set to either Save as PDF (an option in the Google Chrome web browser) or set to Adobe PDF.
- Select the blue Save button to save the new PDF to your computer.
- This will save a "print" of the discussion posts to your computer in PDF format.
Alternate Method to Save Posts
This method can be somewhat buggy due to formatting retention in Microsoft Word and how it interprets the pasted web content, but it may be a good backup for users who do not have the Save as PDF option seen in the previous section.
- Within the pop-up preview window, press the keyboard shortcut to select all. This will highlight all the contents of the page.
Windows: Ctrl + A
Macintosh: ⌘ + A
- Next, copy this highlighted text by copying (Ctrl + C / ⌘ + C) and pasting (Ctrl + V / ⌘ + V) into your preferred word processor (such as Microsoft Word).
- Finally, save the newly pasted document with your posts to your computer or cloud storage system.