The following instructions should work in any version of PowerPoint after 2010. This was tested in PowerPoint 2016. Your student status may provide access to free, up-to-date versions of MS Office 365.
- Click Save as and select Powerpoint file (.pptx).
- Click Save As again.
- Select More options... link under the drop-down menu.
- Change the Save as type: drop-down menu to PDF.
- Click the Options... button.
- In Options screen, under Publish options, use the Publish what: drop-down menu and select Notes pages.
- Click OK.
This will produce a PDF version where each page is split in half, with the top half represented with the original slide and the bottom half with any notes.