When using Blackboard, you may have a need to upload video content. Due to server limitations, Blackboard cannot accept video files as attachments in either discussion board posts or assignments. Use the information in this article to assist with sharing videos in your course.
Upload your video
Before you can submit a video assignment within Blackboard, you must first upload it to an external service.
You may upload your video to Microsoft Stream, YouTube, or other video hosting services.
To submit the video to your instructor, ensure the permissions for the service you have selected are set to be visible with the link and follow the instructions to submit a video link to Blackboard below.
Access Microsoft Stream by navigating to https://web.microsoftstream.com/upload
If prompted to login, use your CUP email address and Network (Blackboard) credentials to login.
Click the upload icon ⤒ at the top of any page or just drag and drop new videos to one of your groups or channels.
- In the Microsoft Stream portal, select Create > Upload a video or the upload icon from the top navigation bar.
- Drag and drop or select files from your computer or device.
- Configure the privacy settings for your video.
- Copy the Share link for the video to submit to your assignment in Blackboard (see section below).
View detailed information on using Stream.
Use the instructions from YouTube to upload your video.
- Sign into your YouTube account.
- Click on Upload at the top of the page.
- Before you start uploading the video you can chose the video privacy settings.
- Select the video to upload from your computer.
- As the video is uploading, you can edit both the basic information and the advanced settings of the video.
- If you set the video privacy setting to Private or Unlisted, click Done to finish the upload.
- Click Share to privately share your video.
- If you haven’t clicked Publish, your video won’t be viewable by other people.
Unless otherwise specified, you can upload your video to any file sharing or video hosting service and submit the link to your instructor. Ensure your privacy settings allow those with the link to view the file or video before submitting to the assignment dropbox. Alternatives include Dropbox, Google Drive, or WeTransfer to host the file and share the link to the hosted file with your instructor.
Submit your video in Blackboard
When submitting your video, do not upload the file to the dropbox.
Video files are too large to be uploaded to Blackboard’s assignment dropbox. Instead, upload your video to a streaming site, such as Microsoft Stream, YouTube, or Vimeo, and share the link to the video.
To ensure privacy, please review privacy settings before publishing your video.
- Navigate to your course's assignment dropbox.
- This will lead you to the Upload Assignment screen.
- Under the Assignment Submission section of the screen, click the Write Submission button.
- A text box will open.
- Paste the "Share" link to your video into this box.
- Click Submit to finalize the submission.