SafeAssign is a tool that checks for plagiarism in student work submitted through the Blackboard assignment dropbox. This tool replaces Turnitin for Concordia University, effective Fall 2019.
Create a SafeAssign assignment
You can enable SafeAssign within an assignment when you are creating the dropbox.
Existing Blackboard assignment dropboxes can be made SafeAssign assignments by enabling the settings below for your assignment dropbox. (Note: This will not affect existing submissions to the assignment dropbox.)
- Within your course in Blackboard, ensure that the Edit Mode is ON.
- Navigate to assignment dropboxes are located in your course (e.g., Submit Assignments, Course Content, etc.).
- Note: If you are enabling SafeAssign on an existing assignment, skip to step 5.
- Create the new assignment dropbox by selecting Assessments (1) and then Assignment (2).
- Once you have filled in the fields for the assignment, scroll down to Submission Details, under the Grading section.
- Click Submission Details to open up the options.
- Place a check in the box to "Check submissions for plagiarism using SafeAssign".
- If you would like students to be able to view their SafeAssign originality scores and reports, place a check in the box next to "Allow students to view SafeAssign originality report for their attempts".
Information on SafeAssign originality reports is available in our help resource.