Before you can create a discussion board forum, you must make the tool available in your course sidebar menu. Find instructions over here.
Discussion board forums are an excellent place for asynchronous course interaction. Get started with a new discussion board forum with these instructions.
Create a discussion board forum
- Login to Blackboard and open the course in which you wish to create a new discussion board forum.
- Click the Discussion Board link in your course sidebar menu.
- In the discussion board area, click Create Forum.
- Enter a name for the new discussion board forum in the Name field.
- To use the Needs Grading option within the Grade Center, be sure to select the box to Show participants in "needs grading" status after every x posts and select 1 from the drop-down menu.
- If the forum will be graded, enter a points value or use the Add Rubric drop-down to create or select a rubric for the forum.
- In the Forum Settings, assign the following settings for an optimal experience:
- Do not allow subscriptions
- Allow Author to Delete Own Posts (Only posts with no replies)
- Allow Author to Edit Own Published Posts
- Allow Members to Create New Threads
Optional: Setup used in fully-online courses; discussion takes place within one thread for each week, keeping the setup very organized.
- After you have adjusted the settings desired, click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen to finalize the forum's creation.
- Next, you will need to create the starter thread.
- Click the newly created discussion board forum and select Create Thread to create the first thread of the forum.
- Enter a subject and the content of the starter thread.
- Click the Submit button to finalize the creation of the starter thread.
- Creating Discussion Boards in Blackboard (4:08)