Discussion board forums are an excellent place for asynchronous course interaction. Get started with a new discussion board forum with these instructions.
Create a discussion board forum
Before you can create a discussion board forum, you must make the tool available in your course sidebar menu. Find instructions over here.
- Login to Blackboard and open the course in which you wish to create a new discussion board forum.
- Click the Discussion Board link in your course sidebar menu.
- In the discussion board area, click Create Forum.
- Enter a name for the new discussion board forum in the Name field.
- To use the Needs Grading option within the Grade Center, be sure to select the box to Show participants in "needs grading" status after every x posts and select 1 from the drop-down menu.
- If the forum will be graded, enter a points value or use the Add Rubric drop-down to create or select a rubric for the forum.
- In the Forum Settings, assign the following settings for an optimal experience:
- Do not allow subscriptions
- Allow Author to Delete Own Posts (Only posts with no replies)
- Allow Author to Edit Own Published Posts
- Allow Members to Create New Threads
Optional: Setup used in fully-online courses; discussion takes place within one thread for each week, keeping the setup very organized.
- After you have adjusted the settings desired, click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen to finalize the forum's creation.
- Next, you will need to create the starter thread.
- Click the newly created discussion board forum and select Create Thread to create the first thread of the forum.
- Enter a subject and the content of the starter thread.
- Click the Submit button to finalize the creation of the starter thread.
- Creating Discussion Boards in Blackboard (4:08)