Your Blackboard courses will have a size limit for files that can be sent and uploaded. Luckily there are ways to reduce these sizes and enable you to share your files easily. For example, if you import a picture from a digital camera, it can be quite large. The file size could be 10 MB or larger depending on your cameras settings. In this article we will cover how to reduce the file size of an image so you can send via email or upload to Blackboard.
Reduce Image Size
There are various ways to reduce the image size. In this article we will show you how to use Microsoft Word to insert a picture, compress the file for email, then save to a new location. Follow the steps below to learn more.
Please keep in mind this will reduce the quality of your image and should only be used if the existing file is too large to send over email or Blackboard (10+ MB).
- Open Word.
- Start a new, blank Word document.
- Insert the picture you would like to use into the body of the document.
- Select the Insert tab, the click the Pictures button.
- Locate the picture that you would like to compress, select it, then click OK.
- Now that the picture is in your document, proceed to the Picture Tools and select the Format tab.
- Select the Compress Pictures option.
You can make changes to how to compress your file based on the size and method you would like to deliver. In this example we will set it to email.
- The file is now compressed!
- To export it, right click on the image and select Save as picture.
- Name the file and place it where you would like.
- You can now upload your image to Blackboard or send via email.