Turnitin (Tii) is an anti-plagiarism assignment dropbox service offered through courses in Blackboard. Student submissions to Turnitin are compared against a database of archived student work, webpages, journals, and books.
Create an Assignment
If you want your students to submit their assignments through Turnitin, create a new Turnitin entry. Here's how to setup a new Turnitin assignment.
- Within your course, set Edit Mode set to ON.
- Navigate to the course area where you would like your students to access the assignment dropbox.
- Select the Assessments tab, and then Turnitin Assignment.
- This will direct you to the integrated Turnitin assignment creation area.
- Select the radio button for Paper Assignment and then click the Next Step button.
- On the New Assignment page, fill in the details of your assignment.
This is what your students will see: Assignment title, how much the assignment is worth, when they can first submit the assignment, when the assignment is due, and what the post date will be.
- Expand the Optional settings by clicking the link.
- Select any desired options presented.
You can choose to save your selections to apply to future assignments if you want.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the blue Submit button to complete this process.
- You will be redirected to a page confirming that your new Turnitin assignment has been loaded. Click the OK button to return to the course area you added the assignment.
- The new Turnitin assignment dropbox will be located at the bottom of the course content area in which you added it.
Turnitin assignment submission results are available within your course in Blackboard.
Before accessing your students' Turnitin submissions:
- Ensure that you are using a supported web browser (Chrome or Firefox) and that it is up-to-date.
- Disable your popup blocker.
- If you have not disabled your popup blocker, you may be unable to access the results of your class's submissions.
Important: Information on the availability of Originality Reports is available in our student-based Turnitin resource.
- Scroll down to the Control Panel, located at the bottom of your course sidebar menu on the left side of your screen.
- Select Turnitin Assignments.
- All of the Turnitin assignments for your course will be displayed on this screen.
- Click the title of the dropbox in which you wish to view student submissions.
- This will load a list of your enrolled students and the status of their Turnitin assignment submission.
If an enrolled student has not submitted, they will be listed here, but no score or other information will be available for them.
- Click the student's percentage score under the Similarity column to review their Originality Report results.
- This will launch a popup window with your student's paper displayed. This is the Document Viewer. On the right of the popup window is the color-coded Feedback Studio tools. The Originality features are indicated by the red buttons.
- If not already selected, click the Originality score to reveal the Originality layer of the feedback interface, and further information on your student's submission.
- The Match Overview pane provides a list of matches.
- Click the arrow next to a match to reveal the Match Breakdown, which provides further detail on the results of your student's submission.
Use the information available from Turnitin to interpret the student submission results.