You can create one or more journals for your students to use in your course. You must create journal topics before students can add their entries.
Watch a video from Blackboard on creating journals (Blackboard, 2014)
- Go to Control Panel > Course Tools > Journals and select Create Journal.
- Type a name and optional instructions. Make the journal available to students.
- Select the Display After and Display Until check boxes to enable the date and time selections. Display restrictions don't affect the journal availability, only when it appears.
- In the Journal Settings section, select Monthly or Weekly Index Entries. If you want, you may select check boxes to allow users to edit and delete entries, or delete comments.
- Optionally, select the check box to Permit Course Users to View Journal. If selected, the journal becomes public. All users can view all journal entries made to the journal topic.
- In the Grade Settings section, select No grading or the Grade option and type the number of Points possible. Points possible will apply to one or more entries made by a user to the journal topic. After you enable grading, a column is created automatically in the Grade Center. The journal is permanently gradable, and you can't change the setting to No grading.
- If you want, select the check box for Show participants in needs grading status and select the number of entries required. If you apply this setting, the Needs Grading icon will show in the Grade Center. The entries will appear in the queue on the Needs Grading page after student activity meets this threshold.
- Optionally, add a due date.
- You may add a rubric, if desired.
- Select Submit.
The journal topics appear in alphabetical order on the Journals listing page. Select a column title to sort the contents.