In an effort to filter out unused and stale Office 365 groups and Teams, we have implemented a 180 day expiration rate. After your Team or Group expires, you will have 1 month to renew the object. After that time, your Team's data is recoverable for an additional month. After that time, that data is lost.
You can tell your Team is expired by the small Exclamation point that appears by the Team name.
If you are a Team owner, you can follow these steps to renew your Team. Please note, you do not have to wait for an expiration notice to extend your Team for 180 more days. You can renew your Team earlier following these same steps.
Renewing inside the Teams Client
1. Click on the 3 dots next to your Team name.
2. In the menu that opens, click "Manage Team".
3. This will bring up the Teams options. Please click the "Settings" tab, and go down to the option "Team expiration".
4. This will open up the "Team expiration" drop-down. Click the "Renew now" button to renew your Team. Please note that you can extend your Team by 6 months before it is expired.
Renewing your Team through e-mail
1. When your Team requires renewal, you will receive an email from: email@example.com . This will contain a link to renew, and look something akin to this. Please note that the URL you are redirected to is a windowsazure.com/ address.
2. Click the "Renew" button located in the email.
3. Login to the Azure portal with your Office 365 account. Please note that the URL starts with https://login.microsoftonline.com/ .
4. Once you have logged in, you will receive a prompt to renew the Team. Click Yes.
You have renewed your Team!
Please contact the Tech Center if you have any questions or issues regarding renewing your Teams.