Grading a SafeAssign submission is the same process as for standard Blackboard assignments. SafeAssign is integrated with Blackboard's native assignment submission tool.
Access SafeAssign Submissions
Within your course in Blackboard, enter the Grade Center (or Needs Grading) and access the assignment submission.
- In addition to the typical features of the Inline Grading Tool, you will also see SafeAssign with a percentage plagiarism match.
- View a student's submission results in detail by accessing their Originality Report, available by expanding the SafeAssign menu and clicking the View Originality Report button.
- The results will load in a new tab in your browser that will contain a simplified version of the student's paper and highlighted results.
To grade the student's paper, enter your grades and comments as you would normally do using the Inline Grading Tool.
SafeAssign Originality Reports
- View the complete Originality Report Documentation
The information below is from Blackboard's SafeAssign documentation on interpreting SafeAssign originality report scores.
Complete information on SafeAssign originality reports is available here.
Sentence matching scores represent the percentage probability that two phrases have the same meaning. This number reflects the reciprocal to the probability that these two phrases are similar by chance. For example, a score of 90 percent means that there is a 90 percent probability that these two phrases are the same. There is a 10 percent probability that they are similar by chance and not because the submitted paper includes content from the existing source—whether appropriately attributed or not.
The overall SafeAssign score indicates the probability that the submitted paper contains matches to existing sources. This score is a warning indicator only. Review papers to see if the matches are properly attributed.
- Low: Scores below 15 percent: These papers typically include some quotes and few common phrases or blocks of text that match other documents. Typically, these papers don't require further analysis as there is no evidence of plagiarism.
- Medium: Scores between 15 percent and 40 percent: These papers include extensive quoted or paraphrased material, or they include plagiarism. Review these papers to determine if the matching text is properly referenced.
- High: Scores over 40 percent: A very high probability exists that text in these papers was copied from other sources. These papers include quoted or paraphrased text in excess, and need to be reviewed for plagiarism.
Blackboard (n.d.) Interpret SafeAssign scores. Retrieved from https://help.blackboard.com/SafeAssign/Instructor/Grade/Originality_Report#interpret-safeassign-scores_OTP-4