Find workarounds and information on known issues with Blackboard Ultra for faculty and students in this resource.
Where Are My Courses?
Navigate to the Courses in the global navigation menu. Then, use the Current or Upcoming tabs at the top to locate your courses. Click the star on the right to favorite them for quick access in Courses and the Activity Stream.
You can also use the drop-down menu at the top-center of the Courses tab to access the sections.
Course visibility is governed on start date and end date, typically set by Banner through the synchronization process between Blackboard and the Middleware and Banner. This can vary based on your role and access needs.
This video will help you customize your new Blackboard course dashboard for an improved experience.
For the best experience, use Firefox or Chrome and disable extensions like adblockers.
Please do not use Safari with Blackboard. In addition to the other known issues with Safari and Blackboard tools, the upgraded Ultra experience will not render properly in Safari, including complete absence of course content.
Logging In To Blackboard
Please login using the CUP Portal.
- Portal: https://portal.cu-portland.edu/
- Username: Network username (e.g., jodreissner)
View our detailed resource on logging in.
Navigation Menu (Sidebar) Missing
The navigation menu may automatically collapse, or not appear at all when accessing Blackboard Ultra.
- Move your mouse pointer to the left hand edge of the screen to the thin blue or grey vertical stripe (pictured in the red box in the image below).
- When hovering over the menu, a button with an arrow should appear. Click button to expand the course menu.
Zooming out inside of your browser may also restore the missing sidebar menu, which automatically collapses at certain browser window sizes.
- You can zoom out in your web browser to gain the "docked" course menu experience, but this may make the text hard to read.
- You may also experience relief by maximizing your browser window or otherwise resizing the browser window.
Zoom Keyboard Shortcuts (Chrome/Firefox)
Ctrl + / -
Command + / -
Course Navigation Menu Missing (Inside Your Course)
The behavior of the sidebar navigation may be different when inside of a course.
The course menu, containing links to weekly instructions, assignments, discussions, etc., may automatically collapse, or not appear at all.
If you cannot locate your navigation menus, you may experience relief by trying either available option below.
(1) Global Navigation: Click the hamburger menu (☰) to access the main Blackboard navigation menu, which provides links to access your Activity Stream, Courses, and more.
(2) Course Menu: Click the arrow button to access your course menu and course content, which includes your course content weekly links, grades, and other tools used inside of your course.
To gain the "docked" course menu experience, use the suggestions above for adjusting your browser zoom settings and/or window sizes.
Notifications (Emails from Blackboard)
Your notifications will be on by default, and may include a daily digest email, or per instance alerts sent. To reduce the frequency of the emails and alerts, customize these in the Activity Stream or in your settings.
On the Activity Stream tab, click the gear icon in the upper-right corner and adjust your notifications as desired.
More information on notification settings is available in the readings below.